Washington, DC Geriatric Medicine
If you are an older adult, then you will be more likely to experience certain health issues that only affect the elderly. In order to prevent such issues or to be treated, you’ll want to visit a geriatric doctor, such as Dr. Enelow.
Geriatric Doctor in Washington, DC
Dr. Enelow provides comprehensive geriatric medicine services, from prevention methods to diagnosis and prevention treatments for a variety of illnesses. The following are some of the geriatric conditions that we treat.
Conditions and Treatments
- Cataracts – Cataracts result when the clear lenses of your eye cloud over, making it difficult to see. The only effective treatment is cataract surgery, in which the clouded lens is replaced with an artificial lens in the eye.
- Delirium – Delirium is a disturbance in one’s mental abilities that can result in confused thinking and a reduced awareness of one’s environment. Treatment involves addressing the underlying causes and triggers.
- Dementia – Dementia refers to a group of symptoms that affect the memory and ability to think and can interfere with basic daily functioning. The main symptom tends to be memory loss. Dementia can’t be cured for the most part, but there are numerous medications and therapies that can help to improve dementia symptoms.
- Fainting (syncope) – Fainting results in the sudden loss of consciousness caused by the deprivation of blood, oxygen or glucose to the brain. Fainting is often caused by an underlying health condition that should be treated to prevent further fainting episodes.
- Falls prevention – The elderly are more likely than others to experience falls and to be hurt due to a fall. A geriatric doctor can determine if any medication the patient is on is contributing to any falls.
- Glaucoma – Glaucoma is a condition in which the buildup of pressure within the eye causes damage to the eye’s optic nerve. It tends to get worse over time and can cause the permanent loss of vision. There are several treatment options, including eye drops, laser surgery and microsurgery.
- Macular Degeneration – Macular degeneration is an eye disease that is the leading cause of vision loss. It’s caused by the deterioration of the central part of the retina. There is no cure, but treatment can help reduce the risk and slow progression.
- Bladder control – Urinary incontinence and overactive bladder rise with age. Treatment includes behavioral and environmental changes, surgical management or the use of medication.
- Osteoporosis – Osteoporosis is a condition in which bone density decreases, thereby causing the bones to become weaker and more fragile. There are a number of medications available to help prevent further bone loss.
- Weight loss – Geriatric weight loss is often caused by nonmalignant diseases. Treatment focuses on the underlying cause to prevent further weight loss and weight management.
Schedule a Medical Introduction Today!
Dr. Enelow has the experience and education to provide high quality geriatric treatments and focuses on establishing long-term doctor-patient relationships. He has also received numerous awards for his work as a primary physician.
What to Expect from Dr. Enelow
- Contacting Dr. Enelow – Call Dr. Enelow at 202-728-9630 or email Dr. Enelow to schedule an appointment.
- Appointment – As one of the top Washington, DC internists, Dr. Enelow will meet with you to discuss and diagnose your medical needs. You’ll never feel rushed or unimportant, and Dr. Enelow takes great pride in providing every single patient the highest-quality of care possible.
- Payment – Dr. Enelow does not charge an annual retainer fee and does not accept insurance. The first comprehensive visit is approximately $800 – $1,100, depending on your visit and medical needs. Most 30-minute visits are $250 – $400.
- Filing Insurance Claims – Our office files all of your claims to your insurance company for reimbursement.
Email Dr. EnelowUse the form below to email Dr. Enelow directly!
“Dr Enelow always keeps in touch with me. He returns my phone calls; he answers my e-mails. I never feel like my phone call is an imposition”-Daniel Read More